Monday, January 7, 2013

DeepWars Ruins update

Over the holidays and the past few weeks I made some progress on my ruined building for DeepWars.  I am pleased to say that it is now ready to be painted!

First, I added some encrusting growth onto the structure using a pretty simple method.  I spread carpenter's glue where I wanted the encrusting life.  Then I sprinkled on dental plaster to get it to stick to the stone.  I shook off the excess.  Make sure you do not touch it with your fingers!  You will flatten it and ruin the effect.  I then finally used a water mister to spray a fine mist of water to wet the plaster, allowing it to fuse to itself and the glue.  I did this in several steps - I would spray a fine mist, then come back 20 minutes and repeat that several times.  Wait until a few hours have passed before touching the plaster so as to avoid flattening it.

Next, I added some plating and branching corals to the top of the structure.  These used yogourt container plastic as a base, with greenstuff for details.  Pretty simple and self explanatory.

Finally, I based it on a piece of MDF board with some sand and rubble.  Hope you like it!


Closeups of the corals:


Some closeups of the encrusting plaster:



Finally, I had an idea to make coral heads to decorate this and other underwater terrain.  Ever see the sea sponges in the paint section at your local hardware store?  The ones used to make cool patterns on your wall?  Well, those are made from actual sea sponges, which when cut into smaller pieces, make for easy and passable corals heads for 28mm.  Here are some sample pieces, cut and dipped in a mixture of craft paint, water, and PVA glue.  They still need some shading and highlighting, but you get the idea!

As always, comments and suggestions welcome!



3 comments:

  1. That looks fantastic. Really impressive.
    Nice Salvager as well. Have you painted up any of the other DW minis?

    Hope you dont mind, but I have also added your blog to the blogroll on my own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comments! Feel free to add me to your blogroll, I will keep an eye on yours as well.

      The Salvager is still a very much WIP, it is the first DeepWars miniature I have started painting - hopefully there will be many more to come in the future!

      Delete
  2. I am waiting for my DW to arrive but I will be covering the lot when it does.
    Planning a natural sea floor board as well.

    Looking forward to seeing what you do next!

    ReplyDelete